This post aims to explain why and how to do verification in the GCash app.
You’ve installed GCash on your phone, and now you can do some basic functions in the app. Now, you’re thinking of Sending Money or Cashing out. Unfortunately, you will need to verify yourself so that you can use all of these features and more.
About Fully Verifying Accounts
Why is there a need to verify myself?
BSP has mandated that companies dealing with financial services should always have a KYC (Know-Your-Customer) process to validate the user. This means that to be able to use GCash with all of the features, users need to link their accounts to an actual person.
This does three things:
- It makes transactions more secure as GCash would be able to know the user doing the transaction.
- It prevents money laundering and the usage of funds to finance illegal activities.
- It prevents identity theft and fraud based on forged documents.
What are the functions I can use with each level of verification?
Here is an expanded list of functions you can access with each level of verification:
|Offline Cash-in||All Basic Features|
|Pay Bills||Send Money|
|Buy Load||Request Money|
|AMEX Virtual Pay||Cash Out|
|Pay QR||Linking a GCash Mastercard|
|Purchase GCash Mastercard||GSave|
|Online Payments||Transact using GCash Mastercard|
|Book Movies||ATM Withdrawals|
|GCash Forest||Send to Bank (Instapay)|
|GlobeOne Linking||Online Bank Cash-in|
How long before I get verified?
It currently takes 2-7 days to get verified.
How do I get Fully Verified?
You will be receiving an SMS to inform you of the benefits of doing verification. You first need to click “Verify Now” from the Profile menu.
Getting Fully Verified in GCash
- From the GCash main page, click the Profile menu, and then on the Verify Now button.
- You will proceed to the Get Verified page. Click on the “Get Fully Verified” button.
- The verification page will ask for your ID. Select the ID you have currently.
- Take a picture of the ID. Make sure the picture is within the frame.
- The second verification page will ask for your selfie. Click on Next.
- Make sure you have good lighting, take a selfie, and then blink your eyes. It will automatically go to the next screen once done.
- The last verification page will ask for your other details. Most of the fields are already automatically filled up from the ID you took a picture of earlier. Modify as needed and click on Next.
- Review your information and confirm the verification. Once done, you will be receiving a message that your application has been submitted. It takes a few days currently to process KYCs due to the volume of requests.
- You will be receiving an SMS once verification is successful.
The process is automated and you will get validation within the day. Once verification is done you will be receiving an SMS. And the “Verify Now” button will be replaced by “View Benefits”.
Alternative Method of Getting Fully Verified
You can also course your verification through the Help Center as there is a form there specifically for verification. This is useful for some users as they don’t have the needed primary IDs.
You will also need these to complete the form:
- 2 Secondary IDs
- TIN ID
- Student ID
- Senior Citizen ID
- AFP ID
- PWD ID
- NBI Clearance
- PSA Birth Certificate
- Marriage Contract
- Solo Parent ID
- Seaman’s Book
- DSWD Certification
- POEA Card
- Consular ID
- PRA Special Resident Retiree Visa
- NCWDP Certification
- Firearms License
- PLRA ID
- Selfie photo (holding your ID)
- Selfie video (holding your ID)
- You need to record yourself saying this spiel: “Hi, I am [your full name] born on [your birthday] with the address of [your complete address stated in your ID]. I am sending this video to register in GCash, and I take full ownership of this account.”
What are the valid IDs accepted for verification?
The list of IDs is less extensive than before, this is to make the automated verification process faster. Here are the listed valid IDs:
For the GCash verification, you would need a valid ID from this list:
- Driver’s License
- PhilHealth ID
- Voters ID
- Pag-IBIG ID
- Postal ID
- PRC ID
- Philsys / National ID
- Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) – if you are a foreign national
If you don’t have an ID from this list, you need to file a Help Support ticket to help in your verification.
How do I get Fully Verified as a Minor?
There is a different flow if your age comes up as a minor. Once verified, you will be able to access the GCash Jr version of the app. Minors are considered aged 7-17 years old in the app. You will still follow the verification flow, but with more requirements as parents need to provide their consent to the usage of the app.
You will need one of these IDs to proceed with verification:
- Student ID
- PhilSys ID
As additional requirements, you will also need to input:
- Full name of parent
- Verified GCash number of the parent
- Parent selfie with your ID
- Copy of your birth certificate
What do I do if I get stuck in “Upgrade in Progress”?
You need to wait for the verification to finish, the longest should be at 7 days. If there is still no news after 7 days, then you may want to follow up using a support ticket.
What do I do if my application got rejected?
You can try verification again, but keep in mind that probably you weren’t able to get a proper picture of your ID or your selfie. Otherwise, you can also opt to go through verification via support ticket.
If I create another account in GCash, do I also need to verify it?
It’s your prerogative. But keep in mind that you cannot use the really useful functions in the GCash app (even Send Money or Bank Transfer) without doing a full verification. Also, you will be able to avail yourself of higher limits when you get verified.
How many alternate accounts can we create in GCash?
You can create up to five alternate accounts. But more than that and GCash will make you choose your five active accounts.
Can I also get GCredit, GGives, GLoan, and other loan products for my other alternate accounts?
No, you can only share one instance with your shared accounts.
Can I create a GSave/CIMB account with each of my alternate accounts?
Yes, as you are allowed to have one GSave account that is tied with your email address. As long as your accounts have different email addresses, you can create a GSave account for each GCash account.
What do I do if I don’t have an accepted ID?
You’ll need to undergo manual verification via a support ticket. You can either call 2882 or file a ticket in the Help Center inside the app.
What do I do if my SIM Card got lost?
You should report your account first to GCash to lock it down and secure it. Then you need to replace the SIM card — this is simple if your SIM card type is postpaid. However, if you are using a prepaid SIM, it would be better to replace it altogether and buy a new one. Once you have your replacement SIM card, you can then contact support, verify yourself using the new SIM, and have your account unlocked.
Full verification is easy to do in the GCash app. You only need an ID, your selfie, and some other personal information. You will need to do full verification to be able to use most of the useful features of the GCash app.
If you’d like to learn more about GCash, I created a how-to on the basics of GCash.
Here is a list of links if you’re interested in the main GCash features: