Currently, since we are in quarantine, one of the most sought after resources is food, and as such we can see a lot of people using delivery services in buying and ordering food.
The other day, I was walking to pick up delivery outside and I passed by a fast-food restaurant. I saw a lot of food delivery drivers ordering for take-out. I then tried to go inside and order take-out, but I was refused. They told me that I should use a food delivery app for safety purposes.
This is why I also thought about how normal cashless payments are for our typical food delivery app. Can we use GCash to pay without relying on Cash on Delivery?
I did my research and found out that there are currently 4 food delivery apps that are mainstream: GrabFood, foodpanda, Lalamove, and LalaFood. However, as of Feb 2021, LalaFood has unfortunately closed shop.
Setting up GCash Mastercard / AMEX Virtual Pay
This is relevant if you want to pay using the GCash debit cards. However, this isn’t mandatory as there are other ways to pay if you wish.
How can I pay using GCash via debit card?
You can either use your enrolled GCash Mastercard or your Virtual AMEX card from within the GCash app itself.
How do I apply for a GCash Mastercard? How do I pay using GCash Mastercard?
You basically need to buy a GCash Mastercard and link it into your GCash app. Once you have your card linked, you can use it as a debit card for payment.
How do I set up my Virtual Pay AMEX Card? How do I generate a CVV?
You will need an email address to be able to apply for an AMEX Virtual Card from within the GCash app. The AMEX card is used for online purchases only and does not have a physical card counterpart.
What do I do if I get an error linking my AMEX Card?
Sometimes issues like this do happen when linking. This is more often than not a technical issue at the backend. We can wait and try again or if not, use our GCash Mastercard.
How do I put funds into my GCash account?
As the AMEX VP and GCash MC are both in fact, debit cards, you will need funds in your GCash wallet to be able to pay. You have lots of different options in cashing in, and you can also bank transfers (from any bank app to G-XChange, Inc. via Instapay) to fund your wallet.
How to Pay via GCash in Food Delivery Apps
Why should I pick foodpanda?
foodpanda may have fewer supported stores than Grab, but they are laser-focused on food delivery. They have partnerships with stores and can even deliver alcoholic drinks if it is offered by the store.
How do I pay in foodpanda using GCash?
Option 1: Paying via GCash auto-debit
You can now pay via GCash auto-debit by authorizing it in the app and inputting your one-time password (OTP). This means that once you’ve authorized GCash the first time, you don’t need to input your details the next time you order from the foodpanda app.
Here are the steps:
- During payment, select GCash as your method.
- GCash would be asking for consent to charge you via auto-debit.
- You would be receiving an OTP and you need to input this as verification.
- Once linked, you would be charged immediately. Make sure that you have sufficient balance.
Option 2: Paying via AMEX Virtual Pay or GCash Mastercard
You can link your AMEX Virtual Pay or your GCash Mastercard either via adding your GCash debit card under “My payment methods” in the sidebar or via adding it using the Credit or debit card option when you are paying for your order.
Option 3: Paying via top-up in foodpanda pay
You can also use your topped-up funds in the foodpanda wallet (also known as foodpanda pay). You can use only your debit card (including AMEX, GCash Mastercard) to top-up your wallet.
How to top-up in foodpanda pay:
- In the sidebar, click on foodpanda pay.
- In the foodpanda pay page, you can see your balance, your saved payment methods. Click on Top up.
- Under the top-up page, you can select your amount (minimum is Php 200). Click on next.
- On the next page, you can enter or change your payment method. Currently you can only choose credit/debit card. Enter your AMEX or GCash Mastercard details.
- Click on review and in the next page, confirm.
To select top-up funds in your foodpanda pay wallet as the payment method, you just need to select it during checkout. You can likewise choose other methods if you want.
Why should I pick GrabFood?
Generally, GrabFood supports more stores, because they do not partner with them, unlike foodpanda. Their drivers actually line up as customers and buy your food for you.
How do I pay in GrabFood using GCash?
There are two ways of paying – one is through your debit card, the other is via GrabPay.
Option 1: Paying via Debit Card
You can link your AMEX card or GCash Mastercard under debit cards once you check out. It works as an ordinary debit card. You should have funds in your GCash balance first before you can use it.
Option 2: Top-up GrabPay using Debit Card then pay using GrabPay
You can also pay via GrabPay, but you need to have funds in your wallet. To top up your GrabPay wallet, you can either top up using your debit card and paying, or transfer funds to your GrabPay using Bank Transfer. The minimum amount you can top-up is Php 200.
Here are the steps in topping up via debit card:
- From the Grab main menu, click on Payment on the bottom bar.
- Once inside the GrabPay page, click on “Cash In” button.
- From the Cash In page, you can top-up your GrabPay wallet. To top-up using GCash, select “Cards”.
- Then once inside the top-up page, just add or change the Payment method.
- You can add your GCash Mastercard or your AMEX card in this page.
- Once you’ve selected a card, you will go back to the top-up page. Input an amount and press confirm.
Option 3: Transferring funds to GrabPay using GCash Bank Transfer then pay using GrabPay
You can also use Instapay Send to transfer funds. You just need to enter your account name and the account number (meaning the mobile number your Grab account is linked to). Take note that there is a Php 15 peso transaction fee using Instapay.
Can I also use Promo Codes bought using GCash Buy Load?
You can also use promo codes bought from the GCash app. Take note that to use the code you need to have a minimum purchase amount specified in the voucher.
Here are the steps:
- From the GCash app, select Buy Load.
- Input your number and press Next.
- Under the Grab Promo Codes group, select any GrabFood voucher. Take note of the minimum basket size.
- Once you’ve bought the voucher, you will receive the code via SMS.
Once inside the Grab app, you can add your PIN in the order page under “Add a Promo”. Take note that the minimum order amount applies.
Why should I pick Metrodealivery?
Metrodeal/Metrodealivery has recently pivoted to cater more to takeouts and deliveries. They still offer big discount deals they have.
However, there is a caveat. For the delivery, it depends on the merchant selling the product. For some products, you can avail of the free delivery from the merchant; on others, you may need to pay for a separate logistics app (like Lalamove, Grab, Angkas, etc) for your delivery. Better read the fine print.
How do I pay Metrodeal using GCash?
Since Metrodeal already has direct integration with GCash, you can use it. However, they also have debit card and Paypal options if you choose to link your debit cards instead.
Here are the steps:
- From the main page, select on “Dealivery” then select your deal.
- Click on Buy Now for the deal you’ve chosen.
- Click on MetroDealivery option, then next.
- Input your address and then next.
- Under the Check Out page, select GCash, or Credit Card or Paypal.
- If you chose GCash, you will be seeing the GCash cashier page. Input your details and confirm the payment.
- If you chose Credit Card or Paypal, input your AMEX details, if you’ve linked your card.
4. Direct Delivery
How about direct delivery apps from specific restaurants?
As long as there is a payment method for debit and credit cards, you can use the AMEX VP or the GCash MC as methods of payment.
However, some stores like Shakey’s delivery app offers direct integration to GCash so you do not need to link any cards when ordering from them.
Other stores offer the “GCash on Delivery” option, where the driver brings a GCash lanyard for payment. You can need to request for it. Something similar to the picture below:
If you would like other restaurant selections, you can also refer to this huge list for details.
GCash now has an all-in-one marketplace in the form of GLife. This includes food merchants like KFC, McDonald’s, Classic Savory, Kraver’s Canteen, Mama Lou’s, Tapa King among others. Since it is in GLife then the default method of payment will also be GCash. You can look at the list of GLife merchants here.
How to Pay via GCash in Delivery/Pabili Apps
As Lalamove is mainly focused on delivery, they have also numbers to match with Grab. You can use their purchase service (pabili) for an additional Php 50. However, you can only buy items less than Php 2000 in total.
How do I pay Lalamove using GCash?
Similar to GrabPay, you need to top-up your wallet via GCash or debit card before you order. The minimum top-up value is Php 300.
Topping up your Lalamove wallet using GCash and pay using the wallet
Here are the steps:
- From the Lalamove page, open the sidebar and press Wallet.
- Under the Wallet page, press To top up.
- Select the amount you want to reload and select “Top Up”.
- From this page, select either of the debit cards you want to use (GCash Mastercard or AMEX) or you can also directly load using GCash.
- Whatever you chose, input the details and confirm the transaction.
How do I pay Mr Speedy using GCash?
You will need to first top-up the wallet then pay using this wallet; they support Credit Card, and GCash payments (via I-Pay88) currently. You can also use MrSpeedy in the GLife app.
Move It Now
How do I pay Move It Now using GCash?
Similar to the delivery services above, you need to top-up the wallet via GCash or debit card, and then use the wallet amount to pay.
I talked about the main delivery apps — foodpanda, GrabFood, Lalamove and how you can pay using GCash. Additionally, I also talked about other ways to order food via GCash (like GLife). Typically there are two ways of paying — you can either link your AMEX Virtual Pay or your GCash Mastercard as payment methods or pay directly via the GCash cashier page.
Here are some similar posts:
- Using GCash for Delivery apps
- Using GCash to pay for Streaming Sites
- How to Buy Mobile Legends Diamonds using GCash
- How to Pay Online Supermarkets using GCash
If you’d like to learn more about GCash, I created a how-to on the basics of GCash.
Here is a list of links if you’re interested in the main GCash features: